Many of Gaza districts were built outside the overhill city
walls during the Ayoubi period and flourished during the Mameluk era. One of those
districts is El-Shuja’eya which is situated to the east of the ancient city. The name
of this part of the city refers to the martyr, Shuja' El-Kurdy, who died in a battle
between Saladin and the Crusaders in 1239. The northern part of this district is called
Judaydah while the southern part is known as Turkman.
One of the most
important sites of El-Suja’eya is the Mosque of Ahmed Iben Othman which is called the
big mosque. It lies in the center of the district amidst the commercial center. Yalkhja,
one of the followers of Mameluk Sultan Zaher Barkouk, and who was appointed as chief
commander of Gaza in 849 AD is buried in this mosque. The various foundation stones
demonstrate that the mosque was restored in the ninth century BC. The inscriptions and the
gorgeous decorations on its minaret add some beauty to the mosque. Another beautiful sight
of El-Shuja’eya is El-Mahkama Mosque the inscriptions of which show that there was a
school of great value inside the mosque. There are other ancient mosques such as
El-Tawashi, Sheikh Mosafer and El-Takzadory. The latter used to have El-Shuja’eya
Public Bath.
The graveyard
which is situated to the east of El-Shuja’eya and is called either El-Tunisia or
El-Tefleesy is believed to, have had the tombs of many martyrs and religious men. An
annual festival called El-Khomsan, Thursdays, would be held in allegiance to those men.
|