|
|
Churches and Religious Institutions
Right in the middle of Bethlehem's cluster of
white houses, rise the bell towers of numerous religious
institutions like shepherds watching over their flocks. French
and Italian Catholic institutions were the pioneers, followed by the
Protestant societies.
The Franciscans (1347) have a large
convent within the parish church of St. Catherine, two parish
schools: Terra Sancta School for Boys and a girls'
school, conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph, and a pilgrim Hospice
(Casa Nova).
The French Convent of the Carmelite Sisters
(1888), built after the fashion of the Castle of Saint Angelo at
Rome, lies in the south-west quarter of the town; adjoining this is a
church, and the convent of the Fathers of the Sacred Heart of Betharram,
built in 1878. From 1920 to 1948, it became the clerical school for the
seminarists of the congregation. It is now a center adapted for groups
of priests, men and women, religious and lay-people wishing to find a
place of quiet in a prayerful atmosphere in the Holy Land. It is also
open to those who organize sessions for Biblical or Spiritual Renewal.
The house has about thirty single rooms with all modern comforts and it
is ten minutes walk from the Grotto of the Nativity.
The Italian Salesians, who came in 1863,
have rendered invaluable service in training generations of skilled
professionals. On a hill side, in the northern part of Bethlehem, the
Salesians occupy a cluster between the Salesian Street, Paul VI Street
and El-Batin Street; it includes two convents, a church, an
orphanage and a technical school. These buildings were constructed
between 1863 and 1905, under the auspices of Father Don Belloni,
attached to which is the Chapel of Saint Louis. Their technical school,
with its many branches, has become the pride of Bethlehem. On Paul VI
Street near the Hebron Road, lies the Holy Family Church and Hospital
(1889) run by the Knights of Malta and a crËche run by the sisters
of Charity.
The Franciscan Missionaries of Mary known
as The White Sisters have a Convent (1906) near the Milk Grotto.
The Convent hosted young orphan girls and the first kindergarten in
Bethlehem. It now hosts a Family Care Center and a hostel. The Rosary
Sisters have an elementary school on Star Street, a new convent, a
novice and a kindergarten on Nasser St. The Brothers of the Christian
Schools occupied since 1893 the summit of the western hill, where they
have leading educational institutions: Bethlehem University and the
Freres Secondary School on Nasser St.
Caritas Children's Hospital on Caritas
Street is the only specialized pediatric clinic in the West Bank with a
ward for intensive care and premature babies. It was founded in 1952 by
Father Ernest Schnydrig and supported by the members of Caritas
Kinderhilfe Bethlehem; this hospital is run by the sisters of the
Holy Cross of Menzingen (Switzerland). The Swedes have their twin
institutions for retarded children in Bethlehem. Accommodating abandoned
children and orphans, the Germans run S.O.S. Children's
Village, organize these children into family units.
The House of Hope for the Blind and
Mentally Handicapped on Hebron Road is financed by Christians from the
U.K. The Antonian Charitable Society, founded in 1913 by a young
Palestinian, looks after helpless old women and aged widows who are in
dire need of vital human care and love. It runs a nursery and an
out-patient clinic, and operates one of the best houses for elderly
women on the West Bank. It is known as the Antonian Home for the Aged.
The Sisters of Dorothea run Epheta, an institute for the
deaf and blind founded in 1964 after the visit of Pope Paul VI to the
Holy Land.
The Teresian Association founded the Home
of St.Teresa, a university residence for girls and runs the Pontifical
Mission Library (1972): a community library which provides an
extensive collection of books and periodicals.
There is a Coptic Orthodox Chapel since
1988 on the Milk Grotto Street. A Maronite Convent and Mar
Sharbel House are on Qanah (Wadma'li) Street. There is a Greek
Catholic Church on Star Street. There is also a sizable Arab Orthodox
congregation and an equally large Roman Catholic community.
Through missionary and educational activities in
the last century, Protestant Churches began to have followers and
convents; today one finds many members of the Anglican and Lutheran
churches. After his visit to Bethlehem in 1898, Wilhelm II left a
Lutheran church with Rhineland markings as a memento of his stay. The
church with the spire (1893) on the western side of town was built by
the Protestant Society of Berlin, which is attached to a co-educational
secondary school, the International Center of Bethlehem (Dar Annadwa)
and a hostel (Jubran House).
Prayers in Bethlehem may be said in all
conceivable Eastern and Western tongues. It would be hard to enumerate
all the chapels large and small in the town, but it seems that every
shade of Christianity maintains institutions here in its own tongue.
Furthermore, there is a continual mushrooming of religious and
charitable institutions.

Church of the Nativity
The present Church of the Nativity is one
of the earliest Christian structures. The original Basilica,
erected in the 4th century by Emperor Constantine, was completely
destroyed in the Samaritan Revolt of 529 A..D. It was replaced during
the reign of Justinian (527-65) on the same site, by a larger Basilica,
slightly different in plan and incorporating different parts of the
original building. This Basilica was built in the shape of a cross with
a tripartite apse, the atrium was transformed into a narthex, and two
flights of stairs allowed access to the Grotto of the Nativity.
Evidence of the turbulent history of the church
can be readily seen in the fabric of the building; for centuries it was
one of the most fought-over of the Holy Places. It was only by
coincidence that this building escaped destruction during the Persian
invasion of A.D. 614. It was the only major church in the country to be
spared. The Persians were surprised to discover a representation of the
Magi from Persia at a facade decorated with a colorful mosaic. So out of
reverence and respect for their ancestors, they decided to honor these
sages by sparing the church. Later, the building was seized and defended
by a succession of Moslem and Crusader armies; this explains the
fortress-like appearance of the church's exterior. Also this is a common
feature of most of the ancient religious buildings in the Holy Land. In
course of time, the complex was expanded by the addition of several
chapels and monasteries belonging to different Christian Churches. Open:
Daily 5.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.

The Shepherds' Field
According to an ancient tradition, the Shepherds
received the first tidings of the Nativity in a broad valley in Beit
Sahour: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in
the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night. And the angel said
unto them, 'Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great
joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the
city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a
sign unto you: Ye shall find the baby wrapped in swaddling clothes,
lying in a manger'. And suddenly there was with the angel a
multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 'Glory to
God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men'. And
it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the
shepherds said one to another, 'Let us now go even unto Bethlehem,
and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known
unto us.' " (Luke 2:8-15).
The precise location of the appearance of the
angels to the shepherds is unknown, but several sites have been
venerated by Christians at different periods. St. Jerome (347-420 A.D.)
believed the field to be identical with that in which Jacob, long
before, had spread his tent, beyond the tower of Eder (Genesis 35, 21).
He also tells us that the tower itself lay about a thousand paces to the
east of Bethlehem. Not long after St. Jerome's time, a church was built
nearby. Arculfus (A.D. 670) related to his host of Iona that he himself
visited this church which contained the tombs of the three shepherds.
For centuries, a monastery stood on the spot, but there is no mention of
a cave until the Crusaders' time (1099-1187). The tradition of the site,
which goes back to the time of the Roman Paula, centered on two: one is
in the care of the Greek Orthodox Church known as Der Er-Ra'wat, and the
other is maintained by the Franciscans and known as Der Es-Siar.
|